Friday, December 9, 2005

Fortuitousness

Call it accidental, call it lucky, call it a blessing, or call it destiny, I’m just glad it happened.

Audrey quit her job.

And I get to fill the position!

In the last few months, I’ve had several opportunities to substitute as a group leader at work. I didn’t really enjoy it at first, mostly because it was sprung on me at the last minute, but the more I did it, the more I liked it. I found a venue to talk to the kids from my heart about things that really matter to me, rather than mostly telling them what to do or what to stop doing. I found an opportunity to appeal to their souls and I could feel it happening. About a month ago I started thinking that I’d like to be a group leader and it’s time now.

As I prepare, I feel a spiritual excitement that I’ve been missing in my life for some time. The idea of infecting young minds with a little bit of my personal philosophy that could change the course of their lives is powerful. Many of you have had this experience through formal teaching jobs, parenting, etc. and I'm beginning to understand why you do it.

I’m going to create something extraordinary out of this opportunity. I want to facilitate groups with an opportunity for the kind of magical happenings that I’ve experienced with many of you. I want to have fun, interesting groups where minds turn on, hearts open, and souls get stirred. I know this is a lofty goal with adolescents, but my predecessors Audrey and Emily pulled it off, and I will too.

I want to challenge any of you that want to contribute to helping kids that come from some pretty awful, unloving circumstances, to give me your ideas and your hearts. I have the freedom to come up with my own groups and I want your brilliant ideas. The groups consist of 5 to 15 kids, sometimes boys and girls are mixed, but they’re separate most of the time. Groups last for about 50 min. and can involve art, science, media, and topics related to mental health, and addiction. I officially start next Fri. so I can use your ideas immediately.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Paul, that kicks ass. I'm so happy for you!! I would love to be of service to you if you need my help with anything. It does feel good to be excited. The kids will feel your excitement and I'm sure they will share their light with you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Paul, I hope you enjoy it. And since I quit, I wasn't fired, I can always come back and visit! My services are always offered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, you have the dream job! I can't believe what a dream job you have!!!!!!! Congratulations baby!!!
    I'll send you ideas...

    Love you and your new adventure!

    Lumina

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I'm calling you right now...

    ReplyDelete