Friday, March 24, 2006

Milk Really Does Suck!


Dairy lover’s: I’m sorry to spoil the fantasy that our tasty dairy products (hey, I love ice cream, cheese, and biscuits and gravy of course, too) are nutritious, forgive me for being a spoiler, but I think this is one of the biggest hoaxes played on the American people. Props to my Mom who has taught me this since I was a kid, making me the subject of derision whenever I brought it up to anyone. Mom, looks like you were right!

I decided to post this since I’ve had a couple of debates about whether milk has any viable health benefits recently. We were discussing it at work since we teach the nearly worthless food pyramid to the kids as a nutritional guide and as you will see with a minimal amount of research milk does NOT do a body good.

Yep, you heard right. Milk is not only not good for you, it poses serious health risks to you, especially if you’re a woman. Read more about it at milksucks.com or notmilk.com. There are many links to scientific research from reputable sources on both sites.

Harvard School of Public Health, on the Consumption of Dairy Products (2005): “The recommendation to drink three glasses of low-fat milk or eat three servings of other dairy products per day to prevent osteoporosis is another step in the wrong direction. … Three glasses of low-fat milk add more than 300 calories a day. This is a real issue for the millions of Americans who are trying to control their weight. What's more, millions of Americans are lactose intolerant, and even small amounts of milk or dairy products give them stomachaches, gas, or other problems. This recommendation ignores the lack of evidence for a link between consumption of dairy products and prevention of osteoporosis. It also ignores the possible increases in risk of ovarian cancer and prostate cancer associated with dairy products.”

3 comments:

  1. We are the only animal who drinks *other animal's milk.
    Hazelnut milk is my favorite alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pauliana, I think you know who "really" taught you not to drink from the cow!!!-AT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milk products make me want to vomit. Listen to your body. It knows more about yourself than we usually give it credit. The only place on the planet I can drink milk is in Chile; that's because I know it's fresh and doesn't have chemicals in it.

    ReplyDelete