Friday, January 16, 2009

Some More Thoughts On Homosexuality

Although I'm not going to resurrect my post on gay marriage I do have some more to say about homosexuality.

Thank you Skye for your recent comment on my original gay marriage post; it got me thinking about this again. You can read Skye's comment here: https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=16918635&postID=8589953684021295446

You raise an important point that I didn't really address, Skye. Alfred Kinsey, entomologist, zoologist, and the pioneer of sex research said:

"Males do not represent two discrete populations, heterosexual and homosexual. The world is not to be divided into sheep and goats. Not all things are black nor all things white. It is a fundamental of taxonomy that nature rarely deals with discrete categories. Only the human mind invents categories and tries to force facts into separated pigeon-holes. The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects. The sooner we learn this concerning human sexual behavior, the sooner we shall reach a sound understanding of the realities of sex" (Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, 1948, p.639).

I believe that Kinsey was right on the mark. Sexuality exists on a continuum and the people that are closer to the center of that continuum may have more choices in their attraction than those of us that are on one end or the other. I completely agree with you that we can only respect people's choices, and it's pointless to try to second guess their experience.

I agree that the main point of the discussion shouldn't be "which one" is the cause of homosexuality. The real discussion in my mind is the discriminatory treatment of any group that's different from the majority. A better discussion could also be focused on how we view human sexuality in general, looking at it cross-culturally, and understanding that many of the taboos and hang-ups around it are unnecessary, and founded on the particular view of our culture. I would rather discuss ways to honor human sexuality instead of the dichotomous way in which we view it in American culture as either a careless pleasure, or puritanically restricted.

Unfortunately the "which one" question is an important part of the discussion because of the prevalent ignorance based on dogmatic beliefs that focus on showing that homosexuals are sinful and should make a different choice in their preferences. It is my opinion that if the majority of Americans were well educated in science in general, and in the research at hand about homosexuality, the controversy would cease to exist. There have been many other controversial issues where scientific evidence eventually overwhelmed the dogma and as a result mainstream opinion adjusted.

I think that the pursuit of knowledge in this area is very important and that sharing it with others is even more important. I do believe that there is a biological basis for sexual preferences. I'm not saying there aren't any environmental factors at all, just that there is no evidence to support a hypothesis based solely on environmental factors. There is evidence to support biological hypotheses and I believe that we dispel some of the misconceptions of homosexuality by understanding those factors.



Much of the research into the causes of sexual preferences points to exposure levels of androgens in the prenatal state. These hormonal levels may predict a person's position on the sexual continuum. This article in Slate discusses the implications of being able to manipulate those hormone levels, and how homosexuality could possibly be screened out of existence: http://www.slate.com/id/2193841/. The article also references nascent research into the structure of the homosexual brain that shows that a male homosexual's brain is structured more like a heterosexual woman's and vice-versa. You can read more about that here: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/17/science/sci-gaybrain17.

This is one of the most fascinating inquiries of our age, going to the very core of the human experience. I don't know that it will be completely settled in my lifetime, and I hope that we don't get to a place where people would prenatally screen their offspring for homosexuality. I do hope that the research at least creates enough ambiguity surrounding the issue to convince people to reserve judgment and respect people's sexual preferences as long as they don't involve predation.

4 comments:

  1. Great writing and I agree with you. It was so fun down at the Family's gathering. I'm glad you got to see my Dad and spend some time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice laptop, maybe you will post more now. What made you go with this particular model? I know you usually research your tech toys... I don't have a comment for your post. I am hung up on some other issues right now with animals and leather, and some other stuff. I can't take too much too seriously at one time or I start to forget about some of the things I use to balance it all out. Seriously. Your blog is still the most interesting one I check...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The attributes that I was looking for in a laptop were:
    1. Tough, because I carry it in my backpack everyday and it gets banged around a lot. (T400 has a steel rollcage that protects all internal parts)
    2. Lightweight, again, the backpack issue. (T400 is under 5 lbs.)
    3. Energy efficient, I run it on the battery for long periods of time sometimes (It runs quiet and cool, uses very little electricity and it can go for about 10 hours on one charge).
    4. Keyboard, it sounds trivial, but I've been using Thinkpad laptops for a while now and I'm totally hooked on the keyboard.
    5. Bang for the buck, this was the final factor - I got my laptop for around a grand which is not bad considering that it is a business class model that is very high quality. I custom ordered it from Lenovo and got exactly what I wanted in terms of features and software. One selling point was that I could get it with a Windows XP downgrade which allows me to continue using all my old software.

    Thanks for continuing to read my blog. I love it when people comment, but I realize that some of the things I write about make it difficult for people to make a small comment. I also realize that people have their own deep issues that they are mulling over. I'd love to hear/read about your animal and leather issues sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate reading your thoughts here. My wife and I will keep standing up for our right to be recognized as a married couple, not just in Canada, but in the US as well. The State of Washington is continuing to expand the domestic partnership bill, but the sponsers' aim is to eventually overturn the DOMA -- the Defense of Marriage (for Straight People) Act-- in the state of Washington. I was also pleased to read that overturning the Federal DOMA is on Obama's civil rights agenda at whitehouse.gov.

    I'm hopeful that in a country where segregation can give way to the election of a black president in less than 50 years, that progress will occur for the GLBT community as well. There has been too much unnecessary suffering due to lack of information or ignorance. Thanks for your writing which is clear and reasoned. The tide is already turning. --Michelle Slaughter

    ReplyDelete