Friday, October 12, 2007

An Essay on Losing My Religion

This is a slightly censored version of a "definition essay" that I recently wrote for my critical writing class. I have some misgivings about posting this, but I think I know who reads this blog and I think you may be interested in this part of my journey. I was defining the word apostate but I was really attempting to convey the feelings of insanity that I endured as I went through my apostasy. This process started about three years ago and the time that I'm specifically writing about is two years ago when I was living with Audrey, James, Kristin, and Pete.

I was trying to plug the leaks with the company of diverting friends, long hours of work, and consuming movies. These things helped but I just couldn't control my thoughts. When I directly thought about what was happening to me the doors flew open. A boundless emptiness shrieked with a shrill whistle through my mind and dizziness would overcome me. I had to slam the heavy doors shut and try to plug the leaks again. Anything but that netherworld where I was spinning with intense vertigo, nauseously hopping from one disintegrating chunk of reality to the next as everything that I had previously believed to be true dissolved beneath me.

When I became convinced that the foundations of my religion were fallacious, things began to destabilize. There was always this little nagging suspicion but I'm very adept at pushing things away when I need to. Eventually the questions started getting louder and becoming more personal and I read the books I had been avoiding for the last ten or fifteen years. These books exposed the founder of the church as, at best, a well-intentioned charlatan. I had relied on my faith like the leaders told me to, and never read anything that was "anti literature" as they called it. In part, I guess I can blame the higher education system for the controlled demolition that occurred after I read those books. Maybe it was the Human Sexuality class, or the class in Paranormal Psychology that forced me to ask the right (or wrong, depending on where you stand) questions. Line upon line, precept upon precept was obliterated as I read those books. I knew it was over; I had to abandon my religion.

The last vestiges of my testimony came down with a mighty crash leaving me standing forlorn at ground zero. I lost my religion, most of my social life, and my credibility with many of my friends and family members. In the eyes of the Church, when someone leaves there is never a valid reason. The apostasy of a Church member is either explained as seditious; a lack of commitment, a desire to partake of the carnal pleasures of the world, or as confused; trapped in the snare of the devil, confounded by the philosophies of man. Many say that it is a difficult life to be a Mormon and some people just aren't God's elect; "it's such a pity, poor Paul, he was doing so well," they said. The irony is that it would have been far easier for me to avoid the subsequent trauma caused by my departure than if I had just stayed in and not asked the questions. It irked me that I lost my credibility because I had the integrity to ask the difficult questions and to act on the answers that I found. I stood alone, covered in dust, in the epicenter of the collapse of my beliefs, an apostate.

There was a time when I was so perfectly insulated against such a catastrophe that it would have been unthinkable. I had the proper training as a young man, the Sunday church meetings, early morning seminary, youth groups, summer camps, family prayers, the two year missionary stint, the indoctrination, the family legends, the traditions, expectations, and guilt trips. I must have received a thousand lessons on faith and I probably taught a hundred. I was converted for heaven's sake. How could this happen to me? I had a vision of an encounter with my younger self. He condescendingly inquired how I could give up eternal life for a life of mere temporal possibility. He scorningly said that I took the easy way. He reviled me, called me a reprobate, a fool, and whispered "apostate" as he walked away. My decision haunted me but I had already crossed a kind of intellectual Rubicon and there was no going back. The ashes of my life as a Mormon streamed down my smudged face and I knew that it was time to move on.

I eventually got used to the idea that there could be another source of meaning that could replace Mormonism. I had been bamboozled and the resulting shame that I felt extinguished my desire to be a part of any organized religion. I thought that perhaps I could be "spiritual but not religious." I had heard the phrase often and I thought maybe I could fit into that category. I began exploring various spiritual practices on my own and with a fellow apostate through a spiritual discussion group. After coping with my decision for a few months I expected that I would adjust and that things would get better; instead they got much worse.

I was like the kid that found out that Santa Claus is really his Mom and Dad and suddenly the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny seemed pretty dubious too. All of the different spiritual practices that I was exploring seemed like different forms of the same bunk I had fallen for before. I began to feverishly read psychology and science books in an attempt to find the truth about belief in the unknown.

I read a book about the hypnotic trance state, its presence in almost every religious and spiritual practice, and how it can be easily triggered using very simple stimuli. I learned about death anxiety and the paranormal belief imperative. These psychological hypotheses suggest that humans need to create supernatural explanations to create meaning out the chaos of their lives to assuage the constant fear of death. I discovered that certain parts of the brain can be physically manipulated to create a spiritual experience of God. I studied how other parts of the brain can be manipulated to cause out-of-body and near death experiences under controlled conditions. These books seemed to expose more than the particulars of a certain religion, they exposed belief in the paranormal in general.

I realized with panic that I was apostatizing from more than Mormonism, I was losing all the meaning that religion gave me. I was losing life after death and the idea that I was fore ordained to serve some purpose in the grand scheme of the universe. I was losing the comfort of God. I realized that being an apostate meant more than just walking away from my religion, it meant that everything I had ever believed in was subject to scrutiny. This realization brought on a wave of nausea that left me in a ball on the floor trying to be so, so still.

I read in spurts until I became paralyzed by what I was reading. I couldn't write anything for school, I was failing all of my classes, and I could barely function at all through the shroud of terror that was suffocating me. I read a passage from Thornton Wilder's The Eighth Day that described the state that I found myself in when I thought too much about the pressing questions,

You are having the dream of universal nothingness. You walk down, down, into valleys of nothing, of chalk. You stare into pits where all is cold. You wake up cold. You think you will never be warm again. And there is nothing – and this nothing laughs, like teeth striking together. You open the door of a cupboard, of a room, and there is nothing there but this laughing. The floor is not a floor. The walls are not walls. You wake up and you cannot stop your trembling. Life has no sense. Life is an idiot laughing. Why did you lie to me?

I reeled with each discovery, feeling more and more lost in my bleak new reality. Ernest Becker's words from The Denial of Death "a full apprehension of man's condition would drive him insane" both terrified and electrified me. I wanted the truth so badly at that point that I was regularly staying up all night reading and writing like a bi-polar manic on a meth binge. I couldn't get enough and I needed to stop at the same time. I was beginning to subscribe to the sentiment of Niko Kazantzakis's that "hope is a rotten-thighed whore," and getting pretty grim about everything when I was inspired by another quote from Becker. "If we have a passion for the truth, we shall encounter a temporary period of forlornness." He added that "joy awaits us on the other side of this forlornness" and that "disillusionment must come before wisdom." I was encouraged, and although I felt at times as though I was mentally unraveling I continued my pursuit of reality.

I continued reading but shifted my focus to having a greater understanding of the way the world works. I read books about evolution and the cosmos and I began to understand that there doesn't need to be a God. These books seemed to give me something solid to stand on. I didn't have to have faith to believe these things; they were supported by empirical evidence. They palliated that unwieldy feeling of spinning that kept creeping back into my head but they forced me to deal directly with the question of whether there is a God. For a short time I surmised that I could be an agnostic since I didn't really know that there was no God. This was a comforting temporary position but then I read Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. Dawkins' argument that "What matters is not whether God is disprovable (he isn't) but whether his existence is probable" persuaded me to rethink the idea of agnosticism. I determined that based on all the evidence I could find, it was much more improbable that there is a God than not. My apostasy was about more than just a particular religion, I was an apostate from God.

The last year and a half I have become comfortable in my beliefs. The vertigo and nausea subsided long ago and I see the word apostate differently than I used to. The word that I used to wear as a mark of shame has transformed into a badge of distinction. It is a scar of a hard fought battle that almost cost me my sanity. I now think of an apostate as someone who summons the courage to go to that sickening scary place in their mind where they let go of the protective cloak of the beliefs they were raised with, and stand naked shuddering in the icy wind of empirical reality. I'm not sure that I've found the joy that Becker promised but I do hear more than the idiot laughing now.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, Paul... Wow.

    I can see how so many people would feel hurt, confused, and offended by your two years' journey. I commend you for it; I see your courage and agony.

    The practice of religion and spirituality should be an individual one, but human nature finds solace and comfort in company. So many people blindly follow another's faith and fail to find their own. It's when a person puts under the microscope their own beliefs that they find out who they really are--and most often, I believe, they'll find that it's someone different than they've always thought. The concept that you've been living years and years with one identity, and then not wanting to lie to yourself anymore, is so discomforting that most people retreat before getting to that point. You did not--you faced, as you put it, the possibility of your own insanity before acquiescence... and for that, I commend you.

    For those of you reading this comment, please don't mistake these words as a criticism of all religion/spirituality. Those who know me well know that I believe everyone has a place, a belief, a spirituality that works for them. I am not condemning religion. But I do condemn those who refuse to acknowledge that there are other paths, and that theirs is the only way. I do worry about those who blindly obey without knowing what they follow, or why.

    Thank you, Paul, for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Audrey, I know its a long post, and thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Paul. Thanks for posting this. It's gutsy, to be sure, considering the various people who will read it. I think it's helpful, though, to the faithful to hear of the honest experience of the disaffected. People in the church (or probably any faith tradition) have a tendency to write off "apostates" as having committed some sin or being unduly offended or something. People rarely entertain the thought that some people leave the church because their honest inquiry and heart takes them there. I think it's a reality we need to understand, so we can love and respect each other without boundaries.

    I feel differently than you do, of course, about these things. I'm aware of the various arguments for and against the church, for and against God. I find both positions to be supportable by some degree of empirical evidence, and both positions to be logical beliefs by thinking people. To me, Occum's Razor applies the opposite direction than it does for you, I guess.

    It sort of saddens me to hear that you've come to this place, because it sounds like a bit of a hopeless existence.
    (But I bet you'll correct me on that point :) Still... I am a great supporter of honest inquiry. I know that your journey continues, as does all of ours. And though I won't deny that I kind of hope your own inquiry will lead you to different places in the future, which include a relationship with your Creator (as I believe there is), I would not advocate that you abandon your own truth in the process.

    You might be interested in this article: http://mormonstories.org/other/howtostay/HowToStay.html#Foreword_and_Disclaimer

    It's not exactly relevant to where you are at this moment, but I think you would appreciate the issues as someone who has been through the process of leaving the church. It might be nice/fun/interesting for you to see how other people express their experience and issues, and how they deal with them.

    I wish you love, happiness, and joy on your journey. Thanks for sharing. I hope we can always talk freely about these things, as it's probably good for all of us to try to understand each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this too...

    And I connect with some of your feelings Paul, definitely... especially the dizziness and actual physical feeling of the loss of faith... I experienced something like a nervous breakdown at Seville... and it was very physical and acute, especially the crumbling feeling, the crumbling of a foundation... was very real. It was terrifying. I stumbled down the stairs, not able to breathe and crying uncontrollably... sobbing.. and terrified... I grabbed Emily's skirt as she was going out the door to church... and she looked in my eyes only a moment and turned to sit with me for hours while I sobbed.

    I didn't ever expect to be back in Mormonism after that experience....

    but I didn't expect the physical sensation of love and peace that I felt when I was sitting in a stadium in Seoul Korea and Gordon B. Hinckley walked in. Isn't it possible that it is true that the feeling I had was some mechanism in my brain being triggered and chemicals were released that created a religious experience... but what triggered that mechanism in my brain? The lighting? The music? The scent of bad breath from sitting near to friends and family? The comfort of familiar things in a strange land? I don't know what brought the feeling... or the tears... but I found myself crying uncontrolably once again like when I lost my religion...

    But I am very sentimental and easily persuaded, and I don't read as many books as you do, AT ALL...

    so i could still be bamboozled.

    I consistently feel 50% bamboozled and 50% enlightened as a Mormon. That's where I live for now.

    I treasure your honesty. Thank you for sharing your hard-fought-for insight and courageous ideas with me.

    I love you Paul Bryant. can you feel that?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Skye and Lumina for your validation, love, and continued friendship. I'm very grateful that the friends I lost when I went through my apostasy weren't the ones that I treasure the most!

    I would like to respond to some of what you both wrote so I'm going to write a new post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your post. I read it as well as your response post and appreciate your well thought out words.

    Trying to come up with my own response is difficult. It's like trying to respond when people ask what I DO believe in these days. For me, for now, I guess I believe that it's OK for me not to know what I believe in.

    Loss is difficult...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, thank you Amber! I'm so glad you found this. You are a part of my story and I appreciated your camraderie so much throughout my process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto, Paul. It was truly important for me to know someone else was going through the same thing of having their world ripped apart and turned upside down all around them and trying to figure out how to deal with it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. (so, this is really stream-of-conscious & unedited, so forgive the flaws.)

    hi paul! i love you! mmmmm....

    i read your post a while ago, thought a lot about it, read your newer one, and skimmed this one quickly just now.

    i tell you that because this comment is in a reply to both posts, & mostly to convey my feelings. (because i want to be connected to you!) In other words, it doesn't match the tone & feeling that you put into this post.

    that said, the biggest complication i encounter in your journey, ruthie's journey, michelle's journey, and anyone else's, is that i just feel like for those of us who remain, who choose to stay, who love and believe, end up... i don't know... looking stupid? :) so maybe it's my insecurity. i don't know. i guess lumina's 50% bamboozled kinda says it. i can't help but think that it's really reciprocal, & that's why it's so hard to talk about. we all try to love & respect the journey of others, even though it directly contradicts our deeply held personal feelings-- but maybe still hold a fear of how the other side views us. like ex-mo's despising the sorrow (pity?) & wish of the "faithful" that they will eventually see the error of their ways & come back... yuck! i can feel how that would be repulsive! but then there's this side of it, which is, man, i guess paul (insert other name here) must think i'm a naive, blind, stupid, bamboozled, close-minded, unwilling to look at things fool! i'm exaggerating, of course. and i know you, and can't really feel like you would ever, ever feel like that, but i guess that's what hangs in the air between people when paths diverge, eh?

    so i take a big, deep breath, & hold your essence in my heart, and muster my courage to trust you and trust myself, and to say to you, and to all those who i love who have left the church: you know me. you know how i feel about the church, because you've felt like that, too, even though you are somewhere totally different now. it is everything to me & i love it. in my truest heart of hearts, the deepest expression of my love you you, my dear, sweet friend, is to hold out hope and love to you that your pursuit of truth, honesty, self-expression, & integrity, which i admire-- will lead you on an incredible, perfect journey, taking you places you need to go, that will fill you & build you & drive you eventually, & maybe even a really long eventually-- full circle.

    please allow me to hope that for you, paul, because of who i am, and who you are to me. for me, holding that hope for you is true love.

    the other half of that is my faith and trust in you that you will hold something similar for me. i don't know exactly what that looks like. but i do know you are my friend and that you love me. you are a man of love.

    just know that i would never abandon our friendship because of your "apostacy," and that my hope truly doesn't discredit, dismiss, or disrespect your feelings, your struggle, your beliefs, or your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been waiting a long long time to read this from you. I can't wait to read the most recent posts next.

    The best thing about you, Paul, is that I actually have never heard you say anything bad about the Mormon church. I keep waiting for that to happen, but you have yet to do it publicly. You are telling the world YOUR experience with the church, and that is pure truth!! But from your way of being since the very beginning of this journey, I have been incredibly impressed. I feel nothing but your respect and honor for all things respectful and honorable. It's possible that I missed it along the way. But I'm not talking about venting or being angry. I mean your true self's way of being... I think you need to understand that the reason why your best Mormon friends didn't leave you is because of YOUR way of being. It would have been easy for you to close the door on everyone. And I believe that's necessary sometimes actually. Many of my friends who left the church LEFT ME. I didn't leave them. You've been a constant for us, despite your deep sense of spiritual community loneliness.

    You're a good man walking this earth, and it brings me to tears.



    You have described your experience so vividly and clearly that I want to invite you to do so again and again. I feel uplifted and inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete