Wednesday, August 20, 2008

20 Years Later


Well friends and family, I finally graduated! I now have a Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies. I decided not to walk because I'm going right into grad school and I'll walk when I finish that. I started my undergrauate degree at BYU in 1988; It feels pretty good to finally have completed something that I started so long ago.

I'm really looking forward to my grad program. I'm going to do my first year field placement at my current place of employment and I've chosen a daunting project. I will be working one-on-one with kids that have severe ADHD or other mental health issues, teaching them self-soothing and mindfulness techniques.

To prepare myself for this new challenge, I have signed up for a 10 day Vipassana meditation course that will begin Sept. 3rd. It is 10 days of silent meditation and introspection, and I'm both terrified and excited about completing it. If you want to see the documentary that inspired me to do this you can watch it on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pk6RlUKanA




I look forward to writing more about it and sharing my experience when I get back .




7 comments:

  1. Kids with severe ADHD? I know some of those. I *live* with some of those. If you need some volunteers, let me know... 'cause any help they can get...

    Good luck on your meditation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and good luck...and I am waaay excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! and i'm very very interested to hear about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You're awesome Paul! Good luck at your week of meditation. I hope it gets you ready for more school work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent. Keep me posted please. I will constantly remind you of the rewards at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS! Man, that must feel really good! I remember the day I graduated I felt like I was on top of the world and would never come down. I hope you feel some of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I can't wait to hear about your meditation experience.

    ReplyDelete